Sunday, March 6, 2011

Roll with the punches!


My great steed for the weekend
As the first week of February rolled around I was getting very excited to head to Rapid City, South Dakota for the Black Hills Stock Show and PRCA rodeo. I was planned on leaving Thursday February 3rd and staying until Sunday the 6th. As the week approached us, so did a very large snow storm. The storm did a great job of covering most of the Midwest with snow and causing a lot of change of plans. But as a rodeo queen that is something we are taught from the beginning, roll with the punches! I was disappointed when I wasn’t able to go to Rapid City. After not being able to ride in Denver I really wanted to get to ride in a rodeo, help with grand entry and get to use the beautiful chaps Cary Veach made for me. Thankfully that same weekend that I was suppose to go to South Dakota, there was a Worlds Toughest Bulls and Broncs in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. The event was being put on by Three Hills Rodeo, Dave Morehead from Bernard, Iowa. I have known the Moreheads since I was younger and since they live very close we consider ourselves “country neighbors.” I was looking forward to getting to work with their crew and start off a great year. Also being in Cedar Rapids, the rodeo was close enough to home that my parents were able to come down and watch me in action.
Madison Sherwood came and helped me sign 
autograph Saturday night
Friday night I headed over to the rodeo and due to the cold weather there were not very many people in the crowd. The ones that were there though were so supportive and had great enthusiasm. I was able to carry the American flag during the national anthem. It was an amazing feeling to be part of something so special and so great. And to keep with Three Hills Rodeo tradition, I had the opportunity to ride one of their beautiful and VERY large paints! He was a great horse though and was fun to ride. He was awful cute too with his fluffy winter coat!  I did the same on Saturday night, which had a better turn out for crowd so that was nice to see. Each night after the rodeo I would sign autograph sheets for fans and get pictures. It was such a wonderful feeling to be around so many rodeo fans! This is truly a sport of family and heart! After Cedar Rapids I would be getting ready to head to Florida! Stay tuned for the story of that amazing trip! Stay warm and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment