Wednesday, August 10, 2011

May – Kick off to the summer!


After I got my whirlwind weekend of graduating from Iowa State done and over with, I was ready to start hitting the road as Miss Rodeo Iowa again. My next stop was to Mason City, Iowa for a clinic. I was putting on a clinic for girls in the local saddle club. The girls would be heading to the Cowgirl Queen contest at the Iowa State Fair. We started the day in the arena. I worked with the girls and their horses about the pattern they would have to perform. We worked small at first, doing basic maneuvers and breaking down the pattern.

After we had worked on the pieces, we put everything together. The girls were really impressive! They all were great riders and could handle their horses very well. I am very excited to see these girls ride at state fair and see how much they have worked over the summer months. After we had worked in the arena we went in and had some wonderful lunch before starting the speaking portion of the clinic. I spoke about different aspects of being a rodeo or cowgirl queen. We talked about clothes and makeup, hair and tack. I also covered very important things too like character and respect. Respect for others and yourself and the importance of it. The girls and parents were great participants and asked great questions. I had a wonderful time in Mason City!!!

My next adventure was that following week. I was heading to Tennessee!!!  I was going to Franklin for their rodeo and pageant to crown the new Miss Rodeo Tennessee. I left on Tuesday and arrived that evening. The other girls and I were meeting with Greg from Dan Post boots for dinner that night.  
The girls with Greg from Dan Post Boots!

 We had a great evening just relaxing and enjoying each other’s company. The other girls and I were catching up since the last time we saw each other. The next day was spent touring different places. We went to the Country Music Hall of Fame and the site of the Battle of Franklin. The Hall of Fame was incredible! We had a great tour guide and got to see some behind the scenes things. It was crazy to think we were standing where country music greats were being inducted. It was just fascinating! They also had different exhibits, one of them being about the Williams family. Learning about the start of their family and their raise in country music was incredible.  

 The afternoon when we visited the battle site we learned a lot about the town of Franklin. It was crazy to me to think that this battle site was just in the middle of the city. The original house that we visited had such a southern feel. It was very moving! Thursday we were able to watch the contestants give their speeches and be asked some questions. We got to ride in the grand entry of the rodeo that night. I was giving Hot Shot or Hottie to ride. This was the director Kelly’s horse and he was a great horse. He had a lot of energy but after a couple hours of riding down, him and I got along great!  
Site of Battle of Franklin

 On Friday the girls and I got up early for breakfast at the hotel at the Grand Ol Opry. We would have liked to stay longer but we had a fun event to get back for. We were all having an old fashioned high noon tea party! It was at a southern style house with wonderful people that served us lunch. 






We all got to wear big hats and I felt like I had stepped back in time!  We rode in the rodeo the next two nights and had a great time! It was wonderful getting to meet Ty Fitzgerald, the new Miss Rodeo Tennessee. It is by far a trip I will never forget!




The next few events I went to were to promote the Jackson County Pro Rodeo in Bellevue. I went and visited a bunch of school s to tell the kids about the upcoming rodeo. 

We handed out fliers, tickets and rodeo coloring books. That Friday I went back down to Bellevue for a Rotary Club Meeting. It was great to speak with some of the local business men and women about my job as Miss Rodeo Iowa and rodeo. They were all very excited for the rodeo and to see a great turn out! 


After the meeting I had a weekend off before my crazy busy June started… Jump on and Ride!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment